The Field of Health and Nutrition consists of two courses: the “Education Researcher Course” and the “Clinical Nutrition Specialist Course”. The former offers programs for advanced study in health science that prepares graduates for teaching, research, administrative, and leadership positions at academic, medical, public health, and other institutions. The latter course provides professionally trained registered dieticians with comprehensive knowledge about clinical nutrition and advanced skills in nutritional treatment. This course prepares graduates to be successful in nutrition support team (NST) in medical institutes. Each faculty member in this field is an experienced professional who has been involved in research of food science, cookery science, clinical nutrition, nutritional education, nutrition physiology, gustatory physiology, exercise physiology, motor control, perception, social facilitation, pattern of eating and other nutrition-related areas.
- Fostering highly trained educators and researchers
- The “Education Researcher Course” fosters highly trained educators and researchers in health science related to diet, nutrition and exercise. Specifically, career options at various universities and vocational schools are conceivable. It is necessary for these professionals to be able to find their own research theme and conduct research on their own, organize the results into a research paper and publish it. The “Education Researcher Course” offers programs for developing basic skills involved in research.
- Fostering professionally trained registered dietitians
- Recently, emphasis has been placed on the importance of nutrition support teams (NST) for a better nutritional care and management of patients. Therefore, highly trained registered dieticians are in a great demand in medical institutions. Dieticians in NST require comprehensive knowledge about clinical nutrition and advanced skills in nutritional treatment. The goal of the “Clinical Nutrition Specialized Course” is to provide professionally trained registered dieticians with the knowledge and skills necessary for employment by hospitals or nursing care facilities.
Master of Health Science (M.H.Sc.) in Nutrition
Examples of Research Topics
- Perspectives on the safety and nutritional potency of genetically modified foods, and the development of food products in the near future
- Cooking methods and the resulting qualitative and quantitative alterations in functional substances
- Research on the development and evaluation of community health and nutrition policy programs
- Research on the food environments (especially food systems and food cycles) and the health of residents
- Research on socio-economic disparities and health / nutritional status
- Research on nutrition and food assessment
- The effects of exercise and nutrition on glucose metabolism in brain
Naoko Ito / Professor / Ph. D. (Chair)
Health and nutrition, Food function and cookery science practice, Chemical and physical change in various foods during cooking
Toshiko Saito / Professor / Ph. D.
Health and nutrition study on the prevention of osteoporosis in elderly population, Study on nutritional education for lifestyle diseases prevention
Kazuo Endoh / Professor / Doctor of Medical Science
Epidemiology on cancer especially on biliary tract, Application of statistical methods in the medical field, Evaluation of the effectiveness of health learning
Toru Nagai / Associate Professor / M.H.Sc
Nutritional management of chronic obstructive pulmonary Disease (COPD), Therapeutic effect of nutrition support team (NST) for malnutrition patients
Hiromi Inaba / Associate Professor / Ph. D., RD
Nutritional education for athlete, Study on the excessive desire for leanness
Kenichi Shibuya / Associate Professor / Ph. D.
Exercise physiology, especially on neural control for movements, Psychophysics concerning human cognition/perception
Ichiro Ashida / Assistant Professor / D. Agr.
Sensory evaluation of food by analysis of gustation, olfaction, myogenic potential of masticatory and swallowing-related muscles, and facial expressions
Takako Yamazaki / Assistant Professor / Ph. D.
Food science, Tenderizing meat through low temperature steam cooking, Changes in food ingredients and tastes after cooking
Hajime Iwamori / Assistant Professor / M. Sc.
Cookery, Food reparation, Experimental cookery, Meal evaluation of the elderly according to digestion capabilities